A Brief History of Oona River
Opening in 1919, Oona River's first school house was an old goat shed. This was only temporary as the new school house was being built. The new building (pictured on the right) opened in 1921.
Fishing & Boat Building
For many years, one of the most common occupations in Oona River was fishing. Many residents built their own boat as well as boats for canneries and other fisherman. Over 100 boats were built in Oona River.
Residents practiced selective logging, a timber-harvesting method in which the best trees are selected and the rest are left standing. Trees were then milled and sold locally to canneries as well as individuals to build homes, bridges, and boats.